Skip to main content
Meals and occasions
Snacks, light meals
Pasta, rice and noodle dishes
Pies, tarts and flans
Kids can cook
Meals for one
Ready in 20 minutes
How to cook the basics
Bristol stool chart
Portion size guide
Weekly menu planner
Ask the experts
10 of the best BBQ essentials
to post comments
Next time you fire up the barbie, turn to these healthier options for the perfect summer meal.
Maille Wholegrain Mustard
Want flavour? Add mustard. Maille Wholegrain has just 67kJ per 1/2 tablespoon.
– with only 410kJ, 1.6g fat and 0.5g sat fat per 100g, kangaroo is a tasty alternative to beef, lamb or chicken.
MasterFoods Mango Chutney
is a perfect pairing with steak. It contains 121kJ and only 33mg sodium per tablespoon.
Mazzetti Balsamic Vinegar of Medona
– this Italian favourite has only 49kJ per tablespoon. Drizzle over steaks, salads, even sausages!
Fountain 40 per cent lower sugar and 70 per cent lower salt tomato sauce
has only 3g sugar and 52mg sodium per tablespoon.
– cook your veges (particularly asparagus, capsicum and corn) on the barbecue to get a great smoky flavour.
Sanitarium Vegie Delights Thai Sweet Chilli & Lime burgers
are a tasty meat-free option for vegos and non-vegos alike.
Multigrain bread rolls
– with more fibre than white bread, they are a perfect partner for steak, sausages or burgers.
Peppercorn Food Company Extra Lean Beef Sausages
– two of these snags will save you 1100kJ and 21g fat compared to two regular sausages.
Maggi 10 Minute Marinade Satay
– with just 270kJ and 440mg sodium per 40g serve, this is a great accompaniment.
We’ve given five packaged foods healthier home makeovers and they take only minut...
In season January: Eggplant
Varieties Eggplants, or aubergines, are not sold by variety in Australia and are ...
10 ways with leftover bread
1. Clever croutons Cut old bread (try wholegrain), into cubes, spray with olive ...
In store: April 2012
Try some of the more unusual fruit and veg in season this month – and check out t...
Food, FODMAPs and IBS: What to eat and what to avoid
Scientific studies have proven that a low-FODMAP diet can significantly relieve I...
The best and worst takeaway
Did you know that Australians eat takeaway or restaurant food an average of four...
Your guide to meal replacements
Are meal replacements a safe and healthy way to lose weight? HFG dietitian Zoe Wi...
Pregnancy nutrition: What you can (and can't) eat
Nutritionist Cindy Williams sets the record straight on the ever-changing advice ...