Skip to main content
Meals and occasions
Snacks, light meals
Pasta, rice and noodle dishes
Pies, tarts and flans
Kids can cook
Meals for one
Ready in 20 minutes
How to cook the basics
Bristol stool chart
Portion size guide
Weekly menu planner
Ask the experts
Telltale signs that you're dehydrated
Spot the signs of Dehydration
1. Dry mouth — Perhaps the most obvious sign of feeling thirsty, this is a reminder that your body needs water. Rather than ignoring it, replenish your body with a refreshing glass.
2. Dark-coloured urine — If you’re healthy and well-hydrated, your urine should be a pale straw colour. Dark yellow or amber-coloured urine means you need to drink more.
3. Fatigue — Most of us put this down to stress or being under the pump with a heavy workload, but tiredness and lethargy can also be symptoms of dehydration.
4. Sallow skin — Long-term dehydration can lead to dry, flaky and wrinkled skin. The more you drink, the better the blood supply to your skin, which results in a healthy, glowing complexion.
5. Headaches — The brain is about 80 per cent water, so a telltale indicator that you’re dehydrated is a subtle headache. Before you take that painkiller, try quenching your thirst.
Find out more about the affects of dehydration and how much you really need in the February issue of Healthy Food Guide.
Colds and flu Q&A
Senior nutritionist Rose Carr answers some common questions about how to prevent ...
Meals to boost your energy
Feeling a little flat? Put a spring in your step with our tasty, high-energy meal...
Your diet and kidney health
One in three Australians is at risk of developing kidney disease, yet most of us ...
Smart swaps: Low GI
Easy supermarket swaps for a low-GI option.
Food, FODMAPs and IBS: What to eat and what to avoid
Scientific studies have proven that a low-FODMAP diet can significantly relieve I...
The best and worst takeaway
Did you know that Australians eat takeaway or restaurant food an average of four...
Your guide to meal replacements
Are meal replacements a safe and healthy way to lose weight? HFG dietitian Zoe Wi...
10 easy ways to lower your cholesterol every day
HFG dietitian Zoe Wilson shows you some simple and practical steps to help bring ...