Full ingredients list:
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 300g button mushrooms, sliced
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- cooking oil spray
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 desiree potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 8 thin slices French breadstick
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Spray onion and mushrooms with oil spray. Sauté onion in pan for 2 minutes, then add garlic, mushrooms and potato. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Step 2 Add stock and 2 cups water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Blend until smooth.
Step 3 Sprinkle bread with cheese. Grill for 1-2 minutes until melted.
Step 4 Reheat soup in a clean saucepan, stirring until hot. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream. Serve topped with toast and thyme.
For a stronger mushroom flavour, add a few dried porcini mushrooms (soak them in warm water first).
About this recipe
First published: April 2008