Step 1 Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add ginger and mustards seeds. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add red wine. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced.
Step 2 Add sugar, vinegar and cherries. Stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until reduced.
Step 3 In a cup, mix cornflour with 1 tablespoon cold water. Add to mixture. Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Serve as part of our classic Christmas menu with a fresh twist, so you can enjoy your favourite food and still be healthy!
Prawn salad with mango and chilli
Turkey breast with pine nut and quince stuffing
Spiced cherry sauce
Potato salad with mint and pistachios
Asparagus, bean and feta salad
Pimm's and berry custard trifle cups
You can do a lot of the prep in advance – follow this time plan:
2 days before
- Cherry sauce – make sauce, allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate. To serve, either allow to come to room temperature or warm gently.
- Trifles – make custard. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
1 day before
- Prawn salad – make the dressing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Turkey – make the stuffing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Potato salad – boil potatoes. Set aside to cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.
- Asparagus salad – make the dressing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
3 hours before
- Trifles – assemble and cover with plastic wrap. Keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- Asparagus salad – blanch beans and asparagus.
2 hours before
- Turkey – prepare turkey and roast in the oven.
- Cherry sauce – remove from fridge. Allow sauce to warm to room temperature.
Just before serving
- Assemble prawn salad, potato salad and asparagus salad.
- Add dressing to potatoes just before serving.