Full ingredients list:
- 1 1/2 cups drained chargrilled marinated capsicums, oil reserved
- 2 long red chillies, chopped
- 1 birdseye chilli, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup reserved capsicum oil
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place the capsicum in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped.
Step 2 Add the chillies, garlic, parmesan and pine nuts and process until well combined.
Step 3 Add the oil and process until almost smooth. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- The traditional way to eat pesto is tossed through hot pasta such as spaghetti or linguine.
- Next time you make soup, serve it topped with a dollop of pesto.
- Instead of a dairy spread on sandwiches, try a little pesto.
- Make a variety of pestos and spread on toasted slices of baguette or sourdough bread and serve with drinks.
- Stir pesto through steamed vegetables or rice for a flavour boost.
- Dip fresh vegetables in pesto for a healthy afternoon snack.
- Serve pesto with grilled or barbecued chicken, fish or lean meat.
- Add a little pesto to lite mayonnaise to make a fresh-tasting salad dressing.
Possibilities with pesto pasta (for 4 people)
- Add 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed, to a pot of boiling water. After 5 minutes, add the pasta, along with a handful of topped-and-tailed, chopped green beans. When the pasta is cooked, drain, add pesto and serve.
- While the pasta is cooking, thinly slice 2 chicken breast fillets, spray with olive oil and cook in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add to pasta with pesto and mix well before serving.
Note: Nutritional information based on serving size of 1 tablespoon.
About this recipe
First published: February 2008