Bean and tomato soup
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
30 mins, prep 10 mins, cook 20 mins
$2.33 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- olive oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 400g can no-added-salt 4-bean mix, rinsed, drained
- 1 bunch English spinach leaves, trimmed, washed, shredded
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Spray with oil. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 6–7 minutes. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Step 2 Add paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, 1 cup of water and bean mix. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover partially; simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 3 Add spinach and stir until wilted. Remove from heat. Season with pepper. Divide soup between 4 bowls. Serve with dollop of pesto.
Top soup with a dollop of guacamole instead of pesto and serve with warmed wholemeal tortillas.
About this recipe
First published: July 2009