Bacon mac 'n' cheese
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 25 mins
$2.50 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 400g wholemeal macaroni
- 4 slices (120g) rindless short-cut bacon, fat removed, chopped
- 375ml can light evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/4 cup (25g) grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 slices high-fibre white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/4 cup (25g) reduced-fat grated cheese
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain, return
to saucepan. Set aside.
Step 2 Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon until golden. Set aside.
Step 3 Remove pan from heat. Slowly add evaporated and skim milk. Mix cornflour with 1 tablespoon cold water in a cup and add to pan. Return to heat, stirring, until mixture comes to the boil and sauce thickens.
Step 4 Combine sauce with cooked pasta in pan. Stir in bacon, parmesan and chives. Spoon into a large ovenproof dish.
Step 5 Scatter diced bread and cheese evenly over top of pasta mixture. Spray with oil. Bake in oven for 25–30 minutes or until golden. Serve with steamed green vegetables.
About this recipe
First published: May 2009