Bean vegie burgers
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
20 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 5 mins
$2.92 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 x 420g cans no-added-salt four-bean mix, drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup (60g) roughly chopped 97% fat-free semi-dried tomatoes (in the deli section)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- olive oil cooking spray
- 4 wholegrain bread rolls, sliced in half
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 225g can sliced beetroot, drained
- 1/4 cup light hommous
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Put beans into a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped, or mash with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl. Add semi-dried tomatoes, chives, garlic, chilli flakes and 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs. Combine well. Form mixture into 4 patties.
Step 2 Put remaining breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl. Lightly coat patties with crumbs. Spray patties with olive oil.
Step 3 Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add patties and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side or until golden and heated through. Put base of rolls onto 4 serving plates. Top with lettuce, tomato slices, beetroot slices, bean patty and a spoonful of hommous. Cover filling with top of rolls. Serve.
In step 1, you can also add chopped olives or corn kernels; instead of chives, use green onions.
About this recipe
First published: September 2009