Chicken chow mein
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
30 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 10 mins
$4.05 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 250g dried thin wheat noodles
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 500g skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- cooking oil spray
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 2 cups shredded wombok
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water according to packet directions. Rinse under cold running water; drain well. Toss noodles with sesame oil and set aside.
Step 2 Combine stock, rice wine and hoisin sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
Step 3 Sprinkle chicken with five spice powder. Heat a large wok over high heat; spray with oil. Stir-fry chicken in batches for 2–3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove; set aside.
Step 4 Return wok to high heat, spray with a little more oil. Add ginger and carrot and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes. Add capsicum, green onions and wombok. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Step 5 Add noodles, chicken and prepared sauce to wok; toss to combine. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
About this recipe
First published: September 2009