Cauliflower cottage pie
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 min, prep 15 mins, cook 60 mins
$4.83 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 600g lean beef mince
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 x 420g cans no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- Cauliflower topping
- 600g potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, sliced
- 1 cup skim milk
- green salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Cook onion and carrot over medium heat, until soft. Add cumin and cook for a further 30 seconds. Place mixture into a medium saucepan.
Step 2 Add remaining oil to frying pan and brown mince in batches. Add to saucepan. Stir in tomatoes and lentils. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Step 3 Meanwhile, boil potatoes and cauliflower until very tender. Drain well. Mash potatoes and cauliflower together until smooth and stir in milk. Place mince mixture into a 3-litre (12-cup) capacity oven-proof dish. Spoon mash on top and bake for 30 minutes, until golden. Serve with a green salad.
- Use turkey mince to make this dish even healthier.
- Sprinkle on some cheese in the last 10 minutes of cooking for extra flavour.
About this recipe
First published: April 2010