Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 min, prep 25 mins, cook 40 mins
$4.98 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 4 x 1.5cm thick slices
- 4 x 120g chicken breast fillets
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat grated mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 cups steamed green vegies, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180?C. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic, stirring for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until sauce reduces and thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir through basil.
Step 2 Meanwhile, pan-fry of chargrill eggplant over high heat for 2 minutes each side, until lightly charred. Set aside. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until golden.
Step 3 Combine cheeses and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Pour half the tomato sauce into the base of an 8-cup baking dish. Layer chicken on top of sauce, and top each fillet with an eggplant slice. Pour remaining sauce over top, sprinkle with cheese mixture and bake for 20 minutes, until breadcrumbs are golden and chicken is cooked through. Serve with veg.
About this recipe
First published: July 2010