Cauliflower and blue cheese soup
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 min, prep 20 mins, cook 40 mins
$2.48 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled, diced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped (including the stalk)
- 3 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 100g blue vein cheese, crumbled
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices multigrain bread, toasted
- 8 slices lean bacon
- 4 tablespoons onion jam, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until softened. Add potato and cook for 3–4 minutes. Add cauliflower and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until tender.
Step 2 Meanwhile, fry or grill bacon until crisp.
Step 3 Purée soup in blender (or use a stick blender). When thick and creamy, gently reheat. Add blue cheese and stir through until cheese has melted. Season with pepper, to taste. Garnish with blue cheese, if desired.
Step 4 Spread toast with onion jam and top with bacon. Cut into triangles and serve with soup.
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup full-fat milk
1/2 cup cream
120g blue cheese
What we did
- Removed the butter, milk and cream
- Reduced the cheese and salt
- Increased the cauliflower and stock, and added potato
Traditional version (per serve)
Total energy 1940kJ
Total fat 40g (25g saturated fat)
HFG version (per serve)
Total energy 940kJ (225cal)
Total fat 7.9g (3.6g saturated fat)
About this recipe
First published: June 2010