Cheesy rice and bean-stuffed capsicums
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
50 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 30 mins
$4.12 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican chilli powder (find it in the spice aisle)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat grated cheese
- 2 red capsicums, halved, seeded
- 2 green capsicums, halved, seeded
- large green salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Spray a medium frying pan with oil and place over medium heat. Cook onion and zucchini, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until soft. Add chilli powder, stirring, for 1 more minute.
Step 2 Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add rice, kidney beans, tomato, coriander and half the cheese.
Step 3 Place capsicums cut side up on the baking tray and fill with rice mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese over capsicums and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until capsicums are tender. Serve with a green salad.
Save any extra filling to use in burritos or tacos for lunch the next day.
About this recipe
First published: November 2010