Tasty chickpea stew
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
3 hrs 15 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 180 mins)
$3.27 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 300g no-added-salt tomato purée
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegie stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 multigrain bread rolls, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Spray a frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3–4 minutes, until softened. Add cumin and cook for 1 more minute. Transfer to slow cooker and add remaining ingredients (except black pepper, parsley and bread rolls). Stir well.
Step 2 Cook on low for 3 hours. Season with ground black pepper, garnish with parsley and serve with bread rolls.
This recipe is not suitable for those following a no-added-salt diet.
About this recipe
First published: August 2011