Full ingredients list:
- 700g sweet potato, cut into wedges
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large (500g) eggplant, cut into 12–16 rounds
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 crusty wholegrain bread rolls, halved horizontally
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 50g baby rocket leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 125g buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced (see variation)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place wedges onto tray, spray with oil and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and tender.
Step 2 Meanwhile, spray a large frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 6–7 minutes, until softened. Sprinkle with one-third of the herbs and toss to coat. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Step 3 Return pan to heat and spray lightly with oil. Cook eggplant for 3–4 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Sprinkle both sides with remaining herbs.
Step 4 Place bread roll bases onto plates. Spread with pesto and top with rocket, tomato, eggplant, mozzarella and onion. Top with roll and serve with wedges.
If you can’t find buffalo mozzarella, use 4 thinly sliced balls of bocconcini.
About this recipe
First published: December 2011