Hearty chicken noodle soup
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 35 mins (Hands-on time: 25 mins, Cooking time: 70 mins)
$3.72 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1.2kg whole chicken, skin removed
- 1 medium leek, white part only, halved, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 75g dried angel hair pasta, broken
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Trim off excess fat. Place chicken into a large saucepan. Add leek, carrot, celery, parsnip, garlic and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, skimming surface occasionally, for 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat. Remove chicken and transfer to a plate.
Step 2 Remove meat from carcass and discard bones. Shred meat. Return saucepan to medium-high heat. Add meat and zucchini. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, adding pasta to pan for last 2 minutes of cooking time. Stir through parsley, then serve.
About this recipe
First published: June 2011