Triple chocolate brownies
Please log in to save or rate.
16 (makes 16 pieces)
Time to make:
45 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 30 mins)
$0.65 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 cup unsweetened apple purée
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped white chocolate
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped icing sugar, to dust
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 175°C. Line a 20x20cm baking tin with baking paper. Set aside.
Step 2 Place apple purée into a bowl. Sift cocoa, flour and baking soda into bowl. Add sugar and salt, then mix until just combined. Do not over-mix. Gently fold in chopped chocolate and pecans.
Step 3 Pour mixture into tin. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until the centre feels set, but is still a little ‘fudgy’ when you insert a skewer.
Step 4 Cool in tin for 5–10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing into squares. Dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.
What we did
- Replaced the butter and eggs with apple purée – it slashes the fat and kilojoules, but the brownies will still be rich and chewy
- Reduced the total amount of sugar
HFG version (per piece)
Energy 507kJ (121cal)
Total fat 5.0g
Sat fat 1.4g
Traditional version (per piece)
Energy 1402kJ (335cal)
Total fat 23.8g
Sat fat 9.9g
- Replace pecans with any other type of nut (walnuts or macadamia nuts will work well), or replace the dark chocolate chunks with milk chocolate ones.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free self-raising flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- Make it dairy free: Use dairy-free chocolate.
About this recipe
First published: June 2011