Sweet and sour sesame chicken burgers
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
18 mins, prep 15 mins, cook 2-3 mins
$4.34 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- 4 wholemeal bread rolls
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Spray a large frying pan with oil. Pan-fry chicken for 2–3 minutes, until browned. Add honey and kecap manis to pan; cook until sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Remove pan from heat, scatter chicken with sesame seeds and set aside.
Step 2 Cut bread rolls in half. Layer with vegetables and top with chicken. Drizzle a small amount of sauce from pan over chicken before serving.
- Boost your omega-3 intake by swapping the chicken for salmon. Wrap it up in a pita or flavoured tortilla (such as spinach and herb).
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free rolls, and swap kecap manis for tamari sauce.
- Use firm tofu instead of chicken to make it vegetarian.
About this recipe
First published: March 2011