Lemongrass beef with green pawpaw salad
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$5.51 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 500g beef blade steak, trimmed, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste (we used Garden Gourmet)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded, chopped
- 600g green pawpaw, peeled, deseeded, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Combine beef, lemongrass paste and garlic in a medium bowl. Place a large frying pan over high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil and half the beef. Cook for 3–4 minutes, or until browned. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat with 1/2 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Return all beef to pan, add tomatoes and heat through.
Step 2 Combine lime juice, remaining oil, fish sauce, sugar and chilli in a small bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves.
Step 3 Combine pawpaw, coriander, mint and onions in a large bowl, then toss through dressing. Serve beef and tomatoes over salad with rice on the side.
On the barbecue: You can cook the beef on the hot plate sprayed with a little oil. Use high heat and cook until browned. Add tomatoes and cook until heated through.
About this recipe
First published: November 2011