Eggplant rolls with herbed ricotta filling
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$4.25 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium capsicums (we used one red and one yellow), washed
- 100g rocket
- 1/2 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 medium eggplants, cut lengthways into 1cm slices (16 slices total)
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 350g fresh reduced-fat ricotta
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- pinch dried chilli flakes
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Drizzle half the oil over capsicums. Heat a barbecue to medium-high. Cook capsicums until charred. Place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to cool, then peel. Discard skin and slice flesh into thick strips.
Step 2 Arrange capsicum, rocket and watercress on a platter. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and remaining oil. Set aside.
Step 3 Chargrill eggplant until tender and golden. Remove from heat.
Step 4 Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients and remaining lemon juice. Spread ricotta mixture evenly over eggplant slices (about 1 tablespoon per slice). Roll up to enclose filling (secure with a toothpick, if necessary). Just before serving, chargrill bread, on both sides, on barbecue. Serve with capsicum salad and eggplant rolls.
Keep an eye on the barbie. The Cancer Council warns against consuming overcooked or burnt meat as research suggests a possible link to some types of cancer.
About this recipe
First published: January 2012