Full ingredients list:
- 400g lean lamb leg steaks, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 2 potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 swede, peeled, diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 small wholemeal bread rolls, to serve
- basil leaves, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and spray with oil. Add lamb and cook, turning, until browned.
Step 2 Add onion and barley and cook for a few more minutes. Add root vegetables and cook for 2 more minutes.
Step 3 Add Worcestershire sauce, stock, 2 cups water and thyme. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 4 Once cooked, use a hand-held blender to puree half the mixture. Stir back into the rest of the soup. Add peas and heat through. Top with basil and serve with crusty bread rolls.
- Leave all the soup unprocessed for a chunkier texture.
- Make it vegetarian: Replace lamb with a 420g tin no-added-salt brown lentils.
This recipe is not suitable for those following a no-added-salt diet.
About this recipe
First published: July 2012