Creamy tuna and broccoli pasta bake
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
35 mins (Hands-on time: 30 mins, Cooking time: 5 mins)
$3.24 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 200g dried penne pasta
- 500g (6 cups) broccoli florets cooking oil spray
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat table spread
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 cups skim milk
- 185g can tuna in spring water, drained, flaked
- 2 tablespoons 97% fat-free sun-dried tomato strips
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups baby rocket leaves
- low-fat balsamic dressing
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Cook pasta in a medium saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Add broccoli to pan in the last 3–4 minutes of cooking. Drain. Preheat grill to high. Spray a 6 cup-capacity ovenproof baking dish with oil.
Step 2 Meanwhile, melt table spread in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, garlic and chilli and then stir until mixture thickens and bubbles.
Step 3 Remove from heat and gradually whisk in milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat.
Step 4 Add tuna and tomatoes to saucepan, then stir in pasta and broccoli. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Grill for 4–5 minutes, or until cheese has browned and melted. Top with fresh basil leaves and then serve with rocket and a little balsamic dressing.
Make a vegetarian version by replacing tuna with 100g reduced-fat ricotta and adding some red capsicum strips for extra flavour.
About this recipe
First published: June 2012