Annie's rice waffles
Please log in to save or rate.
3 (makes 1 large waffle each)
Time to make:
$1.45 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1 cup fine white rice flour
- 1 1/4 cups soy milk (or skim milk or half milk, half water)
- small pinch salt
- 1 banana + 1 cup raspberries, to serve
- 3 teaspoons honey, to serve
- 3/4 cup low-fat vanilla yoghurt, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place flour, milk and salt into a bowl and stir thoroughly with a metal spoon.
Step 2 Heat waffle maker to full. Once heated fully (green light turns on with most waffle makers), turn back a few notches. Set an oven timer for 6–7 minutes.
Step 3 Pour batter into waffle maker to just under the top lip. Check waffle colour and crispness after about 5 minutes. After 6–7 minutes or when mixture is cooked through, remove gently with a small sharp knife or spatula. Serve with berries, sliced banana, honey and yoghurt.
More topping ideas
- Avocado dip made with mashed avocado, cracked pepper (to taste), soy milk or yoghurt, garlic, squeeze of lemon juice or 1 teaspoon tahini
- Mashed banana, tahini and honey
- Pizza ingredients such as ricotta, tomato and mushroom.
Use these waffles in place of
- Pizza bases
- English muffins
- Standard waffles
NOTE: In this picture, we have used 1 large waffle cut into smaller heart-shaped pieces.
- Add blended cooked pumpkin or sweet potato for a sweeter, crispy waffle
- Add blended or finely mashed banana for a sweet waffle
- Add mashed tofu for a nice, puffy waffle
- Use cornmeal instead of rice flour for a lighter waffle with tasty flavour
- Less flour makes a just-as-nice, thinner, crispier waffle, so experiment.
- More flour makes a thicker, bread-like waffle which could even be used as a pizza base.
- Mixture can be refrigerated overnight.
About this recipe
First published: March 2012