Pumpkin, spinach and feta tart
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 15 mins (Hands-on time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 55 mins)
$2.25 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (basil, oregano or Italian herbs)
- cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 rashers (200g) gluten-free lean shortcut bacon, fat-trimmed, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked pumpkin
- 200g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 200g reduced-fat feta, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated reduced-fat cheese
- 1 cup skim milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 8 cups steamed greens, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Place rice, eggs, parmesan and herbs into a bowl. Mix well. Press into sides and base of a 26cm pie dish. Bake for 10 minutes then set aside to cool.
Step 2 Meanwhile, place a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and lightly spray with oil. Stir-fry onion and bacon until cooked. Place into rice crust together with pumpkin, spinach and cheeses.
Step 3 Mix milk, eggs, thyme and some freshly ground black pepper together. Pour into dish over other ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 35–45 minutes, or until filling is set and surface is golden brown. Rest for 5 minutes, then serve with steamed greens.
About this recipe
First published: November 2012