Indian vegetable curry
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
40 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 25 mins)
$4.87 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons medium-heat Indian curry paste
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 800g pumpkin trimmed, chopped
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed, thickly chopped
- 1 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus extra, to serve
- 2 cups cooked rice, to serve
- ¼ cup mango chutney, to serve
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Spray a saucepan with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add curry paste and cook for 1 minute.
Step 2 Add tomatoes, stock, 1 cup water, lentils and pumpkin. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pumpkin is soft and sauce has thickened. Add spinach and cook for a further 1–2 minutes.
Step 3 Meanwhile, combine yoghurt and mint. Serve curry on rice, top with a dollop of minted yoghurt, mango chutney and sprinkle with extra mint leaves and chilli.
Make it dairy free: Omit the yoghurt.
About this recipe
First published: September 2012