Thai prawn cakes with pickled carrot salad
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
31 mins (Hands-on time: 25 mins, Cooking time: 6 mins)
$6.90 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 600g peeled green prawns, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai-style red curry paste
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 75g green beans, thinly sliced
- cooking oil spray
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- 2 large carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 cups steamed brown rice, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place prawns, cornflour, curry paste, egg white and half the coriander and mint into a food processor. Process until combined. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in onion and beans.
Step 2 Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Spoon 1/4-cupfuls of mixture into pan. Cook cakes in batches, for 2–3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through (makes 12 cakes). Transfer onto a plate lined with paper towel.
Step 3 Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons boiling water and sugar in a small bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in vinegar. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sprouts, carrot, seeds and remaining coriander and mint. Toss gently to combine. Serve prawn cakes with carrot salad, steamed rice and lime wedges.
Any Thai-style curry paste can be used – try one that suits your ‘heat’ tolerance. Red and green are the hottest.
About this recipe
First published: April 2013