Slow-cooked hoisin pork
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
3 hrs 15 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 180 mins)
$5.96 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 500g lean diced pork scotch fillet
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 cups no-added-salt chicken stock
- 500g orange sweet potato,peeled, cut into 2cm-pieces
- 400g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place a large, non-stick frying pan over high heat and add half the oil. Brown pork in 2 batches. Place into a casserole dish. Add remaining oil to pan and cook onion, capsicum, garlic and celery for 5 minutes, or until soft.
Step 2 Add tomato paste, tomatoes, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, stock and 1 cup water if needed and bring to the boil. Transfer mixture into casserole dish, cover and bake for 2 hours.
Step 3 Add sweet potato and kidney beans. Cover and return to oven for a further hour, or until pork is very tender. Serve scattered with coriander.
- To make this even easier, just put all the ingredients, except the red kidney beans, into a slow cooker (don’t brown the meat or cook the onion and capsicum). Cook for 8 hours, or following slow cooker instructions.
- Freezes well for one month.
About this recipe
First published: August 2013