Tomato and olive pesto chicken
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
45 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 35 mins)
$3.50 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 4 x 100g chicken breasts
- olive-oil cooking spray
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olives, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 190°C. Butterfly chicken breasts (see tip). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spray a medium frying pan with cooking oil and set over medium–high heat. Add onion to pan and cook until soft. Add garlic, pesto and capsicum; cook for a few more minutes.
Step 2 Add tomatoes, sugar, olives and balsamic vinegar; cook for 5–10 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly. Place chicken on prepared tray, top with tomato sauce, spinach and pine nuts and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Step 3 Scatter chicken with basil, and serve with Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad.
How to butterfly chicken breasts
- Use a sharp knife to slice (lengthways) three-quarters of the way through the centre of each chicken breast.
- Open the chicken breast as if you’re opening a book.
- Cover open chicken breast with a layer of cling film.
- Use a rolling pin to beat and flatten chicken breast until it’s about 1cm thick.
About this recipe
First published: December 2013