Full ingredients list:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, white and green tips separated, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 rindless lean short-cut baconrashers, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1.5cm-dices
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 400g peeled medium green prawns, halved lengthways
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek, white section of onion, garlic and bacon, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
Step 2 Add flour and stir to coat. Add potato, zucchini, stock, milk and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil.
Step 3 Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Step 4 Add corn and prawns. Cook for 3 minutes, or until prawns are just cooked through. Stir in green tips from onions. Serve.
Replace chicken stock with fish stock or water. If chowder is too thick, stir in a little water at the end of cooking time.
Not suitable for those following a no-added-salt diet.
About this recipe
First published: June 2013