Thai-style fish cakes
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
20 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 5 mins)
$5.74 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 650g boneless firm white fish fillets, skin off, coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, thinly shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 egg white
- 1 fresh long red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hot chilli sauce
- cooking oil spray
- 100g rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 100g fresh Asian-style salad leaves or mesclun mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai-style dressing
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place fish, lime leaves, coriander, egg white, half the chilli and half the chilli sauce into a food processor. Process until combined. Shape mixture into 16 small patties.
Step 2 Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over medium high heat. Cook fish cakes for 2–3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
Step 3 Meanwhile, place noodles into a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until tender. Using a fork, separate noodles. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Cut into 6cm-lengths. Place noodles, cucumber, eschalots, salad mix, peanuts, dressing and remaining chilli into a bowl. Toss gently to combine. Serve fish cakes with cucumber salad and remaining chilli sauce.
If you don’t like it hot, use a mild or sweet chilli sauce. You can also try omitting the fresh red chilli.
Thai-style dressing is available from the Asian aisle of most major supermarkets.
About this recipe
First published: March 2013