Middle Eastern chicken skewers with couscous
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
$3.54 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 3 teaspoons Middle Eastern spice mix
- 12 chicken tenderloins, trimmed
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked
- 1 cup wholemeal couscous
- 425g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped mint leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat a grill to medium-high. Sprinkle spice mix evenly over chicken, turning to coat. Thread chicken onto pre-soaked skewers. Grill chicken for 4 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through.
Step 2 Meanwhile, place couscous into a large heatproof bowl. Pour over 1 cup boiling water. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Fluff grains with a fork to separate.
Step 3 Add chickpeas, mint, onion and tomatoes to couscous and stir to combine. Season with black pepper.
Step 4 Serve chicken skewers with couscous, extra mint leaves and yoghurt.
- Chicken can be marinated in spice a day ahead, covered and kept chilled.
- You can also use metal skewers.
About this recipe
First published: May 2013