Apple, pear and sultana strudel
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 15 mins (Hands-on time: 30 mins, Cooking time: 45 mins)
$1.40 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 beurre-bosc pears, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 6 reduced-fat filo-pastry sheets
- cooking oil spray
- 8 small scoops Sanitarium So Good Vanilla Bliss frozen soy dessert, to serve
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted, finely chopped, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a large baking tray with sheets of baking paper.
Step 2 Put apple, pear, brandy (if using; see Cook’s tip at right), cinnamon, sultanas, lemon
zest, sugar and 3/4 cup of the breadcrumbs in a medium bowl; toss to combine.
Step 3 Place one of the filo sheets on the bench top. Spray with oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the breadcrumbs; repeat with remaining filo to make a stack. Spoon fruit mixture along one long edge of filo sheet, leaving a 6cm border at short ends; fold ends in and roll to form a log.
Step 4 Place log on tray; spray with oil. Bake for 45 minutes, or until pastry is crisp and golden. Leave strudel to stand for 10 minutes.
Step 5 Slice strudel and serve with soy dessert and walnuts.
If you don’t want to use brandy, leave it out or replace it with fruit juice – try apple, pear or orange.
About this recipe
First published: October 2013