Balsamic chicken with warm lentil salad
Please log in to save or rate.
6 (4 dinners + 2 lunches)
Time to make:
$2.20 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 700g lean chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups chopped broccoli, cauliflower and green beans
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- lemon wedges, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Combine chicken, vinegar, garlic and cumin seeds in a large bowl. Heat half of the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over medium–high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Add tomato and cook for 3 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
Step 2 Steam chopped vegetables and combine with remaining olive oil, lentils, onion, parsley and lemon juice in a large bowl.
Step 3 Serve chicken and tomato with lentil salad and a lemon wedge.
NOTE: Nutrition information, time to make and costings apply to main dinner recipe only.
Lunch tomorrow: Chicken and vegie lettuce cups
Cost per serve: $2.45
Time to make: 5 mins
2 serves leftover Balsamic chicken, shredded
1 medium carrot, grated
2 serves leftover lentil salad
1 baby cos lettuce, leaves only
Mix cold shredded Balsamic chicken and grated carrot; fold mixture into lentil salad. Spoon chicken-vegie mixture into lettuce leaves and serve.
- Gluten free, dairy free, diabetes friendly, low kJ, high protein, low sodium
- 1311kJ/314cal, 35.2g protein, 10.4g total fat, 2.5g sat fat, 14.8g carbs, 5.2g sugars, 5.6g fibre, 205mg sodium, 56mg calcium, 4.4mg iron
About this recipe
First published: April 2014