Full ingredients list:
- olive oil spray
- 3 large zucchini, halved lengthways
- 4 x 125g lean beef steaks
- sprinkle of chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeded, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Rice pilaf
- 3/4 cup (165g) basmati rice
- 1/3 cup (50g) chopped dates
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 red capsicum, diced
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place salsa ingredients in a food processor; blend until mixture forms a chunky texture. Season with black pepper, then refrigerate to chill.
Step 2 Cook rice according to packet instructions; drain and mix with dates, chickpeas and capsicum to make rice pilaf.
Step 3 Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil; set over high heat. Cook zucchini for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned; set aside. Season steaks with chilli flakes and cook until done to your liking.
Step 4 Spoon salsa onto steak. Serve with rice pilaf and zucchini.
Four steps to the perfect steak
- Allow steak to come to room temperature. Set a frying pan over high heat. Spray or brush steak with oil and add to pan.
- Season one side of sizzling steak with cracked pepper. Cook until first sign of moisture appears; flip and cook other side.
- Cook for 1 1/2 minutes per side, turning once, for rare. Cook for 2–2 1/2 minutes per side, turning once, for medium rare/medium.
- Cook for 2 1/2–3 minutes per side for well done. (Reduce heat if turning twice.) Turn onto sides to seal. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
About this recipe
First published: May 2014