Slow-cooked pulled beef
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
5 mins (Hands-on time: 5 mins)
$3.50 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 1kg piece chuck steak, trimmed
- 1 cup passata
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 cups salad greens, to serve
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced, to serve
- 6 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
- 6 large wholemeal tortillas, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place steak in a slow cooker. Combine passata, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and crushed garlic; pour mixture evenly over steak.
Step 2 Put lid on cooker. Cook steak at high heat for 5 hours (or at low heat for 8–10 hours), or until beef is very tender and flakes easily when tested with a fork. Transfer beef to a clean chopping board; pull into large shreds with 2 forks.
Step 3 Meanwhile, transfer sauce in slow cooker to a small saucepan set over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until sauce reduces by half. Toss beef with reduction.
Step 4 Serve pulled beef with salad greens, tomato and a dollop of yoghurt on a tortilla.
Two more ways with your slow cooker
Vegetable and barley soup
Place diced onion, carrot and celery in a slow cooker with sliced garlic, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup rinsed and drained barley and 1 litre vegie stock. Cover and cook at high heat for 3 hours (or at low heat for 5–6 hours), or until thick.
- Vegetarian, low kJ, low fat, high fibre, low sodium
- 602kJ/144cal, 5.9g protein, 1.1g total fat, 0.4g sat fat, 24.6g carbs, 8.3g sugars, 6.1g fibre, 92mg sodium, 55mg calcium, 1.5mg iron
Deliciously easy dahl
Place diced onion, carrot and celery in a slow cooker with 1 can chopped tomatoes, 2 cups rinsed and drained red lentils, 2 tablespoons Indian curry paste and 2 cups water. Cover and cook at high heat (adding a little water if mixture becomes too dry) for 3 hours, or until mixture is thick and lentils are tender.
- Vegetarian, low kJ, high protein, low fat, low sodium, high iron
- 1491kJ/357cal, 25.4g protein, 5.8g total fat, 0.7g sat fat, 44.5g carbs, 8.3g sugars, 17.3g fibre, 448mg sodium, 138mg calcium, 8.6mg iron
About this recipe
First published: May 2014