Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions, adding cauliflower for last 4 minutes; drain.
Step 2 Melt table spread in a separate large saucepan set over medium heat; beat in flour until a smooth paste forms. Add milk 1/4 cup at a time, stirring and heating between additions, until mixture becomes a thick sauce; simmer for 3 minutes.
Step 3 Add mustard, cheese, shallots and half the parmesan to pan; stir in cooked pasta and cauliflower. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and top with tomato slices.
Step 4 Combine breadcrumbs with thyme and remaining parmesan in a bowl; scatter over tomato. Transfer dish to oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until surface is bubbling and golden; leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Why it's healthier
- Skim milk replaces lashings of cream and full-fat milk, slashing the fat content by a massive 80 per cent!
- Cauliflower bulks up the dish with filling fibre, enabling you to use half the usual amount of pasta.
- The crunchy tomato-crumb topping lifts the number of vegetables to three of your five daily serves.
- Mustard and fresh herbs add flavour without salt.
- This satisfying dish delivers half the kilojoules and twice the fibre of regular macaroni cheese.
Our version (per serve)
Total fat 9.8g
Sat fat 3.4g
Original version (per serve)
Total fat 52.3g
Sat fat 33.2g