Ginger chicken with Asian greens
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
40 mins (Hands-on time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 20 mins), plus 30 mins standing
$5.00 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 4 x 350g chicken Marylands, skin removed
- 2 shallots, cut into 5cm lengths, plus extra, to garnish
- 10cm lemongrass stalk, bruised
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 6cm piece ginger, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, halved lengthways, plus extra, sliced, to garnish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 bunches broccolini, trimmed
- 2 bunches Asian greens, cut into 8cm lengths
- 2 cups steamed low-GI Doongara white rice, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place all ingredients (except broccolini, Asian greens and rice) in a large saucepan that has a lid. Add 2 litres water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Switch off heat, cover pan and leave chicken to stand in broth for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
Step 2 Remove strips of chicken from bones. Boil, microwave or steam broccolini and Asian greens for 2 minutes, or until just tender.
Step 3 Toss chicken with broccolini and greens, garnish with extra shallots and chilli (if using) and serve with steamed rice.
You’ll find dark soy sauce in the supermarket’s Asian-food aisle and at Asian groceries.
About this recipe
First published: June 2015