Spinach and parmesan quinoa loaf
Please log in to save or rate.
Time to make:
1 hr 5 mins (Hands-on time: 25 mins, Cooking time: 40 mins)
$3.75 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed under cold running water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/3 cup small basil leaves, plus extra, to garnish
- 1/3 cup semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 250g cooked skinless chicken breast, diced
- 25g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 150g frozen spinach, thawed, drained of excess water
- 8 cups garden salad, to serve
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper. Bring stock to the boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and cook for 12–15 minutes, or until grains absorb stock; set aside.
Step 2 Heat olive oil in a large non- stick saucepan. Sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add pesto, basil and semi-dried tomatoes; cook for 2–3 minutes, or until fragrant.
Step 3 Transfer quinoa to a bowl with pesto mixture and add remaining ingredients (except spinach and salad); mix well and season with pepper. Spoon half the mixture into loaf tin; top with a layer of spinach and then with remaining quinoa. Level surface with a knife.
Step 4 Place tin in a large ovenproof dish. Fill dish halfway with boiling water and bake for 30–40 minutes, or until firm and slightly golden.
Step 5 Garnish quinoa loaf with extra basil and serve with garden salad.
About this recipe
First published: September 2015